Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

01 August 2008

Deserted in Gotham City



Today was the a Rider Switcheroo day for us. Tomcat and Niece were due to catch their airport shuttles at 3pm, each heading home in their respective directions. Teacher was due to arrive around 3pm. Hadn't I planned this nicely?

We bought Teacher a plane ticket months ago in exchange for riding with me for 12 days of this trip. It worked out great because her family is in Dubuque, IA, so she had a free trip to see them as well as the opportunity to see some sites she'd always wanted to see (Hannibal, MO and Rapid City, SD). The kids felt really special to have one of their teachers riding with us, and we were all especially looking forward to "a real Iowa cook-out" that her dad was putting on for us tomorrow night.

Then, my phone rang early this morning. Teacher sheepishly announced she'd missed her flight. She was supposedly at the train station trying to book a ticket, since there weren't any other flights out to Chicago today. What???
I mean, there are flights to Chicago all day long! I said I needed 5 minutes to clear my head and I'd call her back. Smoke started shooting out of my ears.

Calling her back, I told her she was off the hook, and listened to her tell me how sick she was. She thought she'd be better by this morning, but but but but. I immediately heard my 9th grade biology teacher/coach telling us, "Excuses are like assholes. Everyone's got one and they all stink." I did my best to hold it together, but the kids didn't understand, and that was ripping me up inside.


Clearly, she didn't want to come. Tomcat and I agreed on that. Panic started to set in as I was suddenly very nervous about being alone with these kiddos.
I need to mentally prepare for such things! Remember the 3 trips to E.R. in the Southwest? Suddenly, 12 days of driving alone seemed very overwhelming. Tomcat said to call Grandma and here's what I heard on the other line, "Sure, I can pack quick. I was just heading to the Farmer's Market with Green but I'll call a taxi instead." We bought her a ticket that left in 2 hours. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Grandma!

A note about Teacher. I know she wasn't plotting to throw a wrench in our grand adventure. She's been under tremendous stress lately; she quit our school at the end of the year and has since moved to another city to start a new job. It's all been overwhelming for her, and I get that. She hasn't been taking care of herself which is why she's been sick. But, knowing this, I've given her many opportunities to back out.
I absolutely would have understood, but she said, "No! I'm so excited. My parents are looking forward to this more than my sister's wedding this summer!" I even talked to her last night about her doctor's appointment and she still said she was coming. So here's what irks me:

1. She let down my kids and she was their teacher.
2. She put me in a big bind at the last minute, right when Tomcat and Niece were leaving. I felt deserted and ready to break down for the first time on this trip. We could have solved this months, weeks or even days ago.
3. We wasted money on an unused plane ticket!

Peanut just wouldn't stop talking about it, trying to make sense of how this could happen and why exactly it was irresponsible, etc. I finally said, "Look, this is a big drag for mommy, so let's stop talking about it. Let's focus instead on how Grandma is a hero for saving the day today!"

I tried to shake it and enjoy the last couple of hours in Chicago with Tomcat and Niece. I guess I looked okay from the outside because at one point Niece said, "Wow, I can't believe how contained you are, and that you're handling this so well." Then I told her one of my favorite Buddhist parables.

1 comment:

  1. 1) That picture of the train is AMAZING.

    2) Only you could hold it together that well. Kudos to you!

    3) Yay for Grandma!

    ReplyDelete