Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

01 August 2008

Chicago Architecture






Our last outing with Tomcat and Niece was an Architecture Boat Tour down the Chicago River. This was something Tomcat had really been looking forward to and I hope he enjoyed it. We sure had a gorgeous day and our guide was a good one. The kids were bored out of their minds, but they were so lethargic from heat and humidity they weren't being obnoxious.

When they left for the airport, swimsuits were donned and the kids and I walked about 5 blocks to the Crown Fountain. This is the most imaginative fountain for playing in that I've ever seen. They got the "mommy's alone now, and I need your help with walking beside me, and sticking together" lecture and they were superstars. I even gave Peanut a buck for helping me out so much with Doodle. I've never done this before, but I explained to her that this was kind of like babysitting and I sincerely appreciated it.

We got a couple of souvenirs, had some ice-cream, played in the water and then hopped on the very last Double Decker bus tour. My mistake. Dinner time. It was a 2 hour ride and after 45 minutes of Little Man's announcements, "I'm so hungry I'm gonna DIIIIIIIIIIE" or "I'm gonna blow UP, I'm so hungry", we finally got off and found a restaurant. Actually, they liked this tour and learned a lot. The guide was a huge African American man who sang a Chicago version of Wheels on the Bus when he saw the kids climb on, and had them in hysterics several times.

Back at the hotel, they had a much needed bath; Doodle still has sand in her hair from Lake Superior! Just as they were folding, cutting and taping some cootie catchers and paper airplanes as gifts for Grandma, in she walked! She was grinning from ear to ear, tickled silly to be in Chicago for the first time. Salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment