Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

31 July 2008

Shores of Lake Superior








The last time I was walking in this sand, I couldn’t believe I’d ended up here by accident, ticking Michigan off my list. I distinctly remember the colored foliage and finding a woman walking along who told me there were cabins for rent. “It’s something people up here do”, she explained. Immediately I made a mental note that when I have some money (I traveled with little more than gas money in those days) and a family, I’d come visit this place again. Now, here we are and again, the magnitude of this lake leaves me dumbfounded.

The kids went wild for 2 days in the water while we sat on shore and got eaten alive by flies. Apparently, they come in on the wind and blow out with it, too. Getting up our nerve, we adult scaredy-cats joined them, freezing to the bone for a few minutes before settling in and riding the waves. What a difference, being nailed by a fresh water wave! Salt-free, chlorine-free, creepy-crawly-grabby things-free water! And the shore is smothered with my favorite rocks (tiny, smooth, black, oval shaped). This lake is easy to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment