Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

27 July 2008

Don'cha Know?




Don'cha know I got a ticket for real this time? Heading down Hwy 94, toward Bismarck, these new speed limit signs emerged. "We can go 75mph now!" So we got moving and I started telling Niece about how I took off for Albany, NY when I was her age to escape Texas and see all 50 states (my first round). Here's how I got set up:

I drove a U-Haul with Elliott, my cat, and went straight to University at Albany to see if I could find an apartment. Sure enough I met a girl and we paired up. She was fascinated by my independence (and all my stuff). To get the apartment, I had to have a job, which I didn't. So I kind of convinced the landlord that I was getting a job at The Bagel Baron down the street. Got the apartment, now I had to get the job. The next morning, I walked down there and it was like no place I'd ever been -- was it a kosher deli? But the owner was surely Italian? Walking up to the deli case full of meat (how many types of pastrami can there be?) I asked these big guys in aprons if they were hiring. First they wanted to know where I was from. (The cowboy boots, cut-off shorts and tie-dye t-shirt gave them a clue I wasn't from around there.) Then they said that they only hired people who sang. So, I belted out the first song I could think of, The Ship Titanic, to the amazement of all standing in line for the restaurant and deli case. Ha ha! I'm so funny. Ha! Ha! Niece and I were laughing away until I looked up to see a flashing rainbow in my rear-view mirror!!!

North Dakota trooper #2 had apparently been trying to get my attention for the past 3 miles. Whoops. He, too, was extremely pleasant even as he delivered the news that I was going 26 miles over the speed limit. Somehow I'd ventured into a 60mph zone (I told you N.D. has all these zone switches!) and I was going 86mph. Peanut was imploring me for details on the subject. "Will you get a ticket this time? How fast were you going last time? Just 7 miles over and he gave you a warning? Will this one be nice, too? But you were going a LOT faster this time!" He was exceptionally nice and dropped my speed to 80mph so my ticket was $35 less. This time I asked if I could take a picture of him and he said, "For your blog?" Affirmative. He said he'd already written down the address!

Mr. North Dakota trooper #2, are you reading this? Thanks for being so nice -- I know the ticket was very much deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment