Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

30 April 2009

Rockets in Huntsville




Finding something unique to do in Alabama (with little kids) was as challenging as finding something interesting in Indiana. Remembering Space Camp, we found ourselves at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville.

The museum (indoors and out) stupefied Little Man and he insisted on writing 3 postcards, one of which said, "Your eyeballs would fall right off if you could see this!"

I took the kids into a Flight Simulator ride forgetting how sick they make me. Doodle, who I thought would fall out of her seat, was highly irritated with me and kept pushing my hands away when I'd try to hold onto her -- brave little thing.

Then, I took Peanut into a G-Force Accelerator that literally sucked my boobs right through my body and flat up against the wall behind me. Peanut's cheeks were flapping but I could hear her whimper, "I can't breathe!" I broke protocol and unfolded my arms, the force slapping my hand against her belly, and tried to reassure her, "Just hold your breath. It'll be over soon."

Our feet were off the ground, then slam, the floor beneath us reappeared making a deep breath possible, and all body parts were once again affected by the law of gravity (bummer!). I nearly puked. Peanut was pale and told Little Man and Doodle that they would not have liked it one bit.

Our included IMAX film was Tom Hank's Magnificent Desolation, which detailed the Apollo Missions to the moon. For some reason, my emotions take over when I think of these astronauts, and today was no exception. I highly recommend the film for your family; landing on the moon is ancient history to our kids; now these little ones are far more informed and touched by these prodigious experiences.

The movie ends with a tidbit of Socrates wisdom:
"Humanity must rise above the Earth, to the top of the atmosphere and beyond, for only then will we fully understand the world in which we live."

1 comment:

  1. We ran into you guys at the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory and have followed your travels since then. We have traveled to all 50 states and our oldest child (3 years old) has been to nearly 30. Now we are on a mission for all of our kids to see all 50 states. Next time you are in Arkansas, we would love to show you our Little Rock (which I hate that you have missed) Safe and happy travels. www.dennie.org

    ReplyDelete