Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

24 April 2009

Jazz Fest






Louisiana has many lovely people who dress-up in heels and make-up to trudge through the fairgrounds. (Note to self: wear more make-up on this road trip.) Along with this lesson, I also learned that whining goes up in direct proportion to the mercury. Today we soared above 85 degrees so you get the picture.

No matter how many times we were told, "Well, honey, this ain't even

hahhht," we were unequivocally
HOT. SWEATY. HOT. HOT. HOT! I feared the kids just wouldn't be able to cope, but they pulled through in the end thanks to the Show and Tell Storytelling Tent. Along with many shared stories, the children were given a lesson in storytelling: the punchline is especially important when sharing a story. So, here's the funniest story of the day for me:

Walking in and out of all the artist tents was wonderful -- a bit of shade, interesting folk art not to mention the artists being available to discuss their art with the kids. One beautiful painting showed a woman with her arms stretched wide, head up, with a golden tree within her dress, branches extending. I loved it immediately and Peanut asked the artist, Maurice Evans, if the tree was meant to be her body. He answered that yes, the piece was called Freedom Bird, and that her arms were stretched far out like a bird representing freedom.

I looked at Peanut with big eyes and said, "Aha, Peanut! Look! Just like what you've heard your entire life!" (I've always said, "Free as a Bird" when I need them to stretch out their arms.)

For some ridiculous reason I wanted the artist to know we understood his painting, but Peanut just looked up at me quizzically. I searched her eyes and begged, "C'mon, what do I always say to you kids when I need to put sunscreen on you or help you get a jacket on or something?" She responded like lightning, "Freeze the bird!"

3 comments:

  1. have to say, I'm totally with the kids about the effects of the heat. I can't take the heat. It makes me whiny and irritable too. Glad you found reprieve in the tent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha!! Love it. We just assume that kids understand what we're saying to them, huh? -- Aunt Shellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We met you on the farm in PA. If you're driving through Charlotte, NC, feel free to crash at our big house for a night.

    Pete, Robyn, Camille, Emily, Milo (kitten from the farm)

    6119@awebabove.com

    ReplyDelete