Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

19 October 2008

Uptown, Downtown and a Mermaid in between









Two things happened today that show I'm fatigued:

1. I shredded our double decker bus tour tickets along with my receipts last night after doing bills. They were good for 2 days, too! Arrgh.
2. This morning we got in a cab to meet everyone for breakfast in Greenwich Village. I told the driver "W. 6th and 4th Street". It was really a diner on "W. 4th and 6th Ave". Our taxi driver was really kind, turning his meter off as he circled and circled around the construction at Washington Square trying to find my address. Whoops. When I realized my mistake, I tipped him well! (I just remembered while writing this that I forgot to get in touch with Thinker. Geez, I think he's in the W. Village, too. Bummer bummer bummer!)

After breakfast we wandered through a market,
taking far longer than anyone expected. Street markets are always fun but in NYC they can be really nuts. Where else can you hear a guy yell, "Buy this shit from me! I need to get rid of it today!" I can't wait to hear what Doodle repeats to her class at school when we get back.

The kids got new scarves as the temperature has plummeted. Never mind that I just bought them all new scarves in Maine; naturally, those are safely in the

trunk of our car.


Little Man spotted a Knight and took off running. He was pretty disappointed to find it was only a statue of Shakespeare on the NYU campus!

We also popped into Shoofly and finally, Peanut has another pair of shoes on this trip. She chose boots again. Suddenly, I want to run errands that I have planned for when I get home. Like getting the kids haircuts. Why not? We hopped in a cab and drove to the pretentious Uptown children's stores: Petit Bateau, Baby Lulu, Bambini...they all become more than an E-bay reality for me here. Sale racks and huge selections! I chose Catimini because it had a Cozy's Cuts next door. One outfit each, a nice haircut and off we went to Times Square where we had just enough time for a hot dog before seeing the matinée of The Little Mermaid on Broadway.

It was absolutely amazing. Set designers astound me. People who can sing leave me in awe. And I have to say, I love Ariel. I do. And so do Peanut and Doodle. Little Man loves Prince Eric. So do I. And so do Peanut and Doodle. Doodle could barely contain herself. If she wasn't dancing in her seat, she was relentlessly trying to comb the teenage girl's hair sitting in front of us; she'd gotten an over sized Dinglehopper as a souvenir during intermission and I immediately regretted it.

We finished up this insanely indulgent day by walking over to Rockefeller Center (ice-skaters!) and lighting a candle at St. Patrick's Cathedral. Aunt NYC managed to give Grandma a great tour of Manhattan even without the double decker bus! Taxis whizzed by, proudly off duty, so we showed them by squishing into two pedicabs. Freezing our asses off with enormous smiles on our exhilarated faces, we rode all the way from Times Square past the Flatiron building to La Mela in Little Italy where you get served what you get served, and hope you like it! No menus needed.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you saw that cowboy guy. He was just on the Today show last week and I couldn't even believe him. . . no one could *try* to be the persona he was carrying. I didn't know whether to laugh or hide my head in embarrassment.

    I went into a Catimini store in Lux. Turns out European clothes that are expensive in the U.S are also expensive in Europe. Except Petit Bateau. I saw that in a Target/Fred Meyer type store in Lux. Not at all priced like the states.

    We're leaving on Nov. 5th. Yes, I got your package. Thank you so very much for thinking of me! I can hardly get that mouse pin cushion away from Eva. Thank you Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, the naked cowboy spent some time in Houston recently too. I guess he travels all over the place. I would have LOVED to have been with you to see "Little Mermaid." NYC was a blast, but I'm with Peanut, I wouldn't want to live there. --Big Sister

    ReplyDelete