Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

27 October 2008

Round 3 Wrapping Up







Waking up to a gorgeous day, we were all a little peeved at the downpour from yesterday; it was our only day of bad weather! We had Renaissance clothing hanging all over the hotel room and many things were just going to have to be packed soggy.

I asked Grandma if she was ready to leave and I got a frown followed by a reprimand for the Philadelphia tease -- our hotel was in an incredible part of the city and
she didn't even get a taste of Philadelphia! (A Philly Cheese Steak for dinner at Campo's didn't count.)

So I asked the
kids if they were ready to go home because very few homesickness comments have been expressed and we've been gone over a month. Immediately they said, "Yes!" Peanut misses school. Little Man misses his friends. Doodle misses Tomcat and Niece.

I should note that Tomcat never managed to join us this on this round of states. Naturally, the kids take for granted how hard he works, funding our adventure without bitterness. He's truly happy for the kids to have this opportunity.
While we're away we see him in the unexpected and it's like he's there with us. Grandma and I, of course, are endlessly grateful and don't take it for granted.

Before closing, I've again asked each person what their favorite part of the New England road trip has been and here's what we all have to say:

Grandma: All of the historic little towns, especially in Vermont. Mystic, Bar Harbor...but nothing can beat Niagara Falls.

Peanut: Shelburne Farm; our PA farm especially the calf being born; the Wizard of Oz and The Little Mermaid shows.

Little Man: Lobster boat; Renassainse Faire; playing in the 'swamp' with Slugger; the PA farm and "coming home to see my dad".

Doodle: The Little Mermaid show; playing 'don't kiss me' games with Tio and Aunt NYC; playing with Sprite and the girls I met.


The O'Hare airport -- surprise surprise -- has too much wind today and our flight has been delayed by 1.5 hours. We're looking at arriving home close to midnight by our body clocks. But as the kids lounge all over me on the floor of the airport (and Peanut loses another tooth!), it occurs to me what a gift I've been given: one-on-one time with the my kids and my mom.
I have to say that our New England Road Trip has been truly exceptional. Short driving distances, fantastic stops at the end of every day, beautiful weather and two visits with dear friends.

Someone actually asked Friend if I was doing this trip because I was dying. Imagine? But I see how fortunate I am to be healthy and alive and spending time with these wee ones while they still want to spend time with me. I can say with certainty that I like my kids more as people because of this experience. I know them. And that is my, CurlyTop's, favorite part of this trip!

I hope you'll join us again in February when we head to Hawaii. Your support and comments are such an important part of our trip!





6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post!! Also, love Doodle's fancy yellow dress! We should all dress up more for plane trips. ; ) People often ask me how/why you are doing this...after almost 25 years of friendship I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be doing it! I say, "that's just my friend Curly Top! She's all about setting goals, experiences for her kids and traveling...it is part of your DNA" Love, Aunt NYC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are home safely and that you had a great trip! I would like to see more of that part of the country. I have absolutely loved what I have seen so far. --Big Sister

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Road Trip Family! And to beautiful NW weather! We've very much enjoyed reading your updates this road, everyone looks so happy and full . . . of life that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curly Top, I've never commented before but I wanted you to know I've followed the adventures all year and enjoyed them immensely! The photos, your commentary, have all been such fun to see and read. What wonderful adventures and memories for you all! Thanks for the entertainment...and education. Hope to see you one of these days visiting me here in India with Niece's mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In your travel stats section you could add a new catagory of "number of airports". Enjoy your time home before you hit the travel mode again!
    BunnyLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing journey! Thank you for sharing your experience. New England is my very favorite part of the country. So much to see and do.

    ReplyDelete