Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

20 October 2008

New Jersey - State #35



I was specifically told when asking for directions that people spend more time trying to avoid New Jersey than figuring out the best way in. How sad is that? I mean Bruce Springsteen is from here, right? I've heard there are nice parts although I've never seen them.

Now, after one evening, I'm compelled to say that I've lost hope for this state. Hideous traffic

from entrance to exit. Factories and smoke in every direction. Welcome signs were amiss; we tried 2 different, primary points of entry and ended up making our own sign.

Our plan was to eat at one of the famous diners along the freeway for lunch, but our delay out of NYC had us there for dinner. There are so many diners to choose from! A woman I chatted with one night in Durango, CO (road trip #1) told me it had to be Mastori's in Bordentown and the numerous reviews confirmed it as a good choice.

The place was enormous and packed. You enter through a bakery and are led to the diner, but there's also a dining room and a big bar. We sat down, ordered our drinks and the next thing I knew, a plate with the hugest cinnamon roll I've ever seen, plus 2 enormous cream cheese rolls were plunked down on our table. There was a big steak knife sticking into them like a toothpick. I asked what it was and she said they're complimentary for every table. Interesting way to start dinner, but whatever. We divided and savored one roll.

I have to say that I was appalled at what they brought my kids for dinner. Little Man ordered a cheeseburger and that burger must have weighed a pound. It was obscene. I'm not kidding. He wouldn't even take a bite it was so daunting. Grandma also ordered a burger, ate half and said the bun was fantastic. So Little Man ate his bun. Cinnamon roll and hamburger bun for dinner.

Peanut and Doodle chose a grilled chicken breast and each girl received 2 enormous chicken breasts slathered in butter and herbs with a pile of fries. I expected greasy diner food -- that was part of the fun -- but this was something entirely different. Doodle is 3.5 and the lady couldn't offer up that maybe they'd like to share? Or maybe the entire table would like to share? Seriously, what has happened in this country?

Not impressed with Jersey or it's famous diner.

3 comments:

  1. "Thank you for the maple syrups, very thoughtful to think of me. They were very good. I liked the lowest quality grade B the best because it was the most flavorful." (quoted from third sister's husband) I just need to add that I don't know why my husband thinks that gift was for him. You know how when you love something so much you just kind of take over?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about NJ, i haven't been though out the state but from my understanding the charming little communities are few and far between.

    In terms of the food portions.... It turns my stomach seeing that much food on a plate.... Give me tapas any day.

    Hurry home.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go to NJ on Friday for a meeting and thought of you..I saw a "Welcome to New Jersey" sign just off the George Washington bridge and had a diner lunch at the Empire Diner...the food was disappointing and the sign was not convenient to stop over for...NJ just isn't all that. ; )

    ReplyDelete