Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

24 September 2008

Side Trip Tempations





The trouble with this part of the country is that places are so close together you can think you can stop every 20 miles and still make progress, but this just isn't so.

We saw a sign for Kirtland, OH and thought of Sister.


She's Mormon and I remembered that the Mormon pioneer women broke up all their china for the Kirtland temple to make the walls sparkle. Why not have a side-trip? I walked into the L.D.S. Visitor Center and the man said, "Good morning, are you a Christian?" I know they're bold, but this took me back. I said, "Excuse me?" He repeated himself pleasantly, "Good morning. I'm Elder Christiansen." I told him what I thought he said and we both got a good laugh. Anyway, he told us how to get to the temple (which isn't owned by the Mormons anymore) and the walls didn't exactly sparkle. Oh well. Here's a picture for you anyway, Sister!

We also couldn't resist one more stop at the lake when we saw a sign for Geneva on the Lake. Until you see the Great Lakes with your own eyes, you cannot possibly imagine their magnitude.

Someday we'll make it to Upstate New York, but not at this rate. When we crossed over into Pennsylvania, we had to do the turn-around-back-into-Ohio for a picture under the state sign. Then back around again and on our way! (We're ignoring this dip into PA by the way and saving it for the end of our trip when we actually do something there.)

1 comment:

  1. Both of your "sisters" are arguing over which sister you are talking about, but thanks for thinking of one of us and taking the picture. I just wish I could see the temple in person. --The oldest sister

    ReplyDelete