Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

25 September 2008

New York – State #28




Tolls! I completely forgot about the frenzied days of scrounging around for change on the car floor before arriving at the tollbooth. Fortunately, Grandma always carries a change purse full of quarters (for our laundry).

I’ve thought for some time that New York is my favorite state and now I’m 100% sure of it. The people are so generous and mushy once you break through their tough exteriors. Plus they get gorgeous countryside and one of the coolest cities in the world to call their own.

Pulling into Buffalo at dinnertime, I started to roll my window down at a stop light to ask someone where we should go, but the light turned green. Next thing you know, the car has raced up to meet us, rolled down the window and screamed across traffic, “Hi, did you need some help?” I asked where we should go to eat with kids – maybe some Buffalo Wings? He said he knew the perfect place. “Follow me, it’s on my way home,” he said as he proceeded to turn completely around and take us deep into downtown in the opposite direction. With a point from his finger and a nice smile, we landed at a busy slice of heaven, Anchor Bar Restaurant, with more than an hour’s wait. Bummer! The host suggested take-out, which we happily did. Nothing beats a picnic of messy, greasy, plump Buffalo Wings with bleu cheese dressing in the car. The kids had “pizza logs”.

It’s been a long while since I felt that kind of weight in my belly. Lucky for us we got totally lost trying to cross the Peace Bridge into Canada and our guts had a wee bit more time to digest.

No comments:

Post a Comment