Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

21 August 2008

The Home Stretch




Back in Washington of all places, the golden, swaying wheat fields finally came into view. This was literally our first wheat crop of the trip even though I'd prepared the kids for miles and miles and days and days of wheat. Instead we found only corn fields, until now. It was b e a u t i f u l! We pulled over to play in it, cut it, chew it. We talked about different ways to grind wheat -- using a mano like Josefina did (see New Mexico) and a wheat grinder like Pa did (see Walnut Grove, MN). Back in the car, they separated the seeds with their fingers and made wheat maracas.

I rounded a corner after taking yet another picture, when I saw the oh so familiar swirling red and blue lights. All the music stopped as a cop pulled me over. I was only going 66mph, but naturally the speed limit had just dropped to 55mph. When I only got a warning, Peanut said, "Wow, mom, I didn't know cops were nice in Washington, too!" What am I teaching these kids?????

Despite being an 8-hour drive, the kids were overjoyed for the sun to go down so they could do another flashlight show (see North Dakota). They created a stage with their Glacier National Park walking sticks, and another stick Little Man picked up somewhere to make an arrow when we got home. This contraption became quite ornate, with blankets, birds, etc. and they proceeded to entertain themselves while I desperately tried to find a hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment