Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

23 May 2008

Slide Rock

Slide Rock has to be one of my favorite childhood and young adult memories. Thirty years ago it was just a stop by the side of the road kind of place. I distinctly remember all the nudists lying about on the red rocks sunning themselves and me being told not to stare. Twenty years ago they had a paved parking lot and a fee. This year, with the kids, they had bathrooms and a gift shop! The nudists were missing, although that could have something to do with the temperature.

When the rain stopped, we went to check it out. I brought all of our bathing suits, jean shorts and old tennis shoes on the off chance the kids would actually slide. Grandma and I were absolutely convinced they'd never get in. Our car said it was 42 degrees outside and the water was much colder than that. Little Man was dead set on going though. When we got there two teenage boys were doing their best to get in, but failing miserably. Their bellies were bright red from cold and their dad was on the rocks with a nice camera waiting patiently for them to get the courage to do more than just sit in a little pool of water. He looked at Little Man who couldn't get his clothes off fast enough and said, "Go show them how it's done!"

My only rule about going down the chute was that there were to be no tears. I explained very clearly that this would be the coldest thing they'd ever done and that they might have trouble breathing. I also said I was absolutely positive they would love it. But no crying!

Shock of the world they actually did it! I went down with Little Man first and just kept telling him to keep his head up. A couple of times I lost him (these rocks are slippery as hell!) but was able to get a hold of him again. I nearly went under once after a waterfall, but he managed to keep his head up. He was freezing...and raring to go again! Peanut's turn. About 3 feet down the chute I heard her gasp for air and flex -- shock -- so I said, "C'mon Peanut, smile! This is fun!" It snapped her out of it and she started giggling like crazy. She was holding on to me so tightly that we never separated, but I had a harder time keeping my own head above the water. She scrambled up the rocks to Grandma who had her dried and changed in under a minute. Grandma said, "You're NUTS! Tomcat never would have done this!" But she knows how fun it is, because she's been down this same chute, many times herself. She's a thrill-seaker at heart; don't let her fool you!

Doodle was screaming to go and I just knew this was a horrific idea. I was already frozen beyond words, physically tired, and she was so small and would be so slippery in my arms. But for any of you who have 3 kids, you know what it's like talking logic to the baby. They just have to figure things out on their own. So, I took her to the beginning of the chute, sat down (all the while saying, "You sure?") and just as I was beginning to slide, I thought, "You've got to be kidding me! You're really doing this?", she started to scream to get out. Hallelujah! I immediately lodged my foot and 2 teenagers came and scooped her out of my arms. She started taking off full force toward Grandma which was just as terrifying (wet rocks). I managed the uneasy task of backing out of the chute (thank you again big teenagers) and catching her before she fell into the safety of Grandma's arms.

Little Man was thrilled because he finally got to go again. At this point (my 3rd+ time down), I could barely breathe or speak. It reminded me of when I joined the Polar Brrrr Club by jumping from a boat into the glacier water at Tracy Arm Fjord in Alaska. It was the first time I became acutely aware that you actually feel warm when you're starting to freeze. Well, would you believe I forgot a change of clothes for myself, and new underwear for Little Man? I suffered through, but there's just no way he'd put on jeans without underwear, so he went bare-assed the .3 miles to our car!


Here's the worst part though. The entire way back to our car, Doodle sent me a litany of judgments, "My daddy said I can't go in that water. It's too cold. I'm too little. You shouldn't have let me do that. My daddy won't let you do that. It's not allowed." Whatever, Doodle! It was AWESOME and I loved the opportunity for the kids to overcome something...anything. This is the stuff confidence is made of.

Tonight Peanut was writing in her journal while the other two were in the tub. When they got out I told her to jump in for a quick wash. A few minutes later she finally got in and started to complain, "Hey, this is cold!" pause pause pause "Well, at least it isn't as cold as Slide Rock!"

2 comments:

  1. Oh, the good ole days . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sad there isn't a picture of the slide. i've never heard of it and would love the visual. ah. . .google images ~ i'm off

    ReplyDelete