Where we're heading next:

Home Sweet Home

Quote of the Day

Peanut, "Wow, mom, now we can say we've been to all 50 states! What are we gonna do next?"

31 July 2008

Wisconsin - State #15



I remember Duluth, MN smelling like wet cardboard. A lady told me there’s a paper mill in another town and depending on the wind, you can smell it in Duluth. No winds today apparently.

We’ve crossed the bridge into Wisconsin, but we’re not spending any time here right now. We’ll be meeting my sister and her husband, who live in Milwaukee, down at the Jelly Belly Factory this weekend.

We did pull over at a campsite so I could get some dirt though. I followed the trail to the Mule River and saw a group of dripping wet teenage boys on a little bridge. I asked them if there was any sand around here and they nodded, “Sure, but it’s under the bridge.” I asked if any of them would mind getting some for me. The smallest of the group said, “I’ll go!” I handed him my bottle and he surprised the hell out of me by climbing onto the wall and jumping in the river! True to his promise, he dove down, and filled up my bottle. I told his friends about our trip and when he emerged from the river, they all shouted at him, “Hey, she’s putting this on the internet! You’re going to be famous!”

Thank you, Jumper Boy, for jumping off a bridge for a stranger in need of some Wisconsin dirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment